Monday, January 23, 2017

Hexagon Stack 'n Whack Fish




These two baby quilts were made by Reneta.  They were the result of a class a number of years back, and weren't made for anyone in particular.  She has a feeling that someone she knows will have twins one day and these will be their quilts.  She put green Cuddle on one, and blue on the other.


Reneta left the quilting design up to me, but she did have one request.  She asked if I could add a couple of goldfish (like the one in Disney's Pinocchio) to the black border in a bold or variegated thread.  If my machine was computerized this would be a snap, but I'm always up for a bit of a challenge....



I found a coloring book image and copied it to an appropriate size, and cut it out so I could chalk the basic shape onto the fabric.  Then using the chalk line as a rough guide, I drew in the rest of the fish details with my needle and thread.  I decided that a solid orange Magnifico thread would be more effective than a variegated so some details weren't bolder than others.  I impressed myself with this one - I thought there was a 50/50 chance that I would be picking this out and trying something different!



I love how well it shows up on the Cuddle backing.



For the rest of the quilting I did continuous curves in the Kaleidoscope hexagons, and added a curl to my curves in the green star points.  The back border got a water meander in a blue thread to give it a little more interest.




I love how these quilts came out and they are super cuddly as they have a minimal amount of quilting and Quilter's Dream Puff batting.





1 comment: