Wednesday, September 7, 2016

CIty Slicker for the Dorm Room


 I made this quilt for daughter #1 as a grad present for her new dorm room at the University of Manitoba.  This quilt has been in the making for a while, but residence move in day of September 3rd was my deadline. 

 

I asked for Kyla's input on this quilt along the way.  She had suggested that she could just take the original City Slicker quilt that I made when we were designing the pattern for Highway 10 Designs.  I wasn't quite ready to part with that one, and I wanted to make something just for her, I selected a jelly roll in some of her favorite colors and paired it with the icy blue background.


Kyla chose the Zephyr panto.  I used Quilter's Dream Puff batting so that washing and drying in the dorm would be nice and easy.  I used a variegated Fantastico thread called Misty Morn on top and Bottom Line blue in the bobbin.



I love to personalize quilts for my clients when given the opportunity, and I wanted to do the same for Kyla.  I wrote her name in one row of the panto.  Subtle, but present.


I wanted to make a couple of matching throw pillows to send along and I was lucky to have an extra bit of my Stonehenge backing once the quilt was finished, so I found some small batting pieces and loaded the pillow fronts and just kept on quilting the panto over them.


It was a close call but they fit!


This pillow was made from the little pieces of jelly roll strip that are left over from cutting out the quilt.


The second one was made from bits and pieces from the quilt and my stash.


And here you see it where it will be living for the next 8 months.  City Slicker is the perfect sized quilt for a standard dorm room bed.  This one is a twin XL.




2 comments:

  1. Love those colors. It is a wonderful addition to your daughter's home away from home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. kind of bittersweet isn't it? The quilt is lovely, and she will think of you every night as she crawls into bed.

    ReplyDelete