Monday, November 18, 2013

Not Your Mother's Rail Fence


It is always an exciting day when I get to reveal something new.  I am thrilled to show you the latest pattern from Highway 10 Designs - Not Your Mother's Rail Fence Quilt.


This quilt is a little twist on a traditional pattern.  Rail Fence quilts have always been popular because they come together easily and they just look good.  We have varied the strip widths to give it a fresh look.


This idea has been brewing for a while now.  Kathy made the pattern in a much softer colorway.  You can see more of it on her blog.


This lovely bundle of batiks that I had purchased during a Craftsy sale seemed like a perfect fit to give it a totally different look so off came that pretty ribbon!


This pattern is definitely beginner friendly so I enlisted some help piecing the top.  I cut, Kyla sewed the strips and Kendra was responsible for pressing.  Everyone got their favorite task, so we had a lot of fun, and it came together really quickly.




It is amazing how much you can accomplish via email.  Even though Kathy and I live more than 500 km apart, Highway 10 Designs is truly a joint effort at every step along the way.  Here is one of the photos she received when we were deciding what color I should dye the backing.




The darker purple it was.  I tried out a new pantograph called "Joust" on this one.  It has nice even coverage so I'm sure I will use it a lot.


Last week Dauphin was not looking like the winter wonderland it is today so the quilt took a little trip north for Kathy to bind and photograph.   Her photos are stunning just as I expected and I am happy to report that she is still speaking to me even though I sent her batik binding and a very dense hand dyed cotton sheeting for the back!  I knew she was tough enough to handle it ;).


If you are interested in making your own version of Not Your Mother's Rail Fence, PDF patterns are available in our Craftsy or Etsy Stores.  Paper patterns will be on the way soon!

I want to say a big thank you to all our friends, guild members and customers for all their support and encouragement of this venture/adventure that Kathy and I are on.  We are enjoying this next step in our quilting lives.  And I can't forget a big hug to our proof reader Eileen, your attention to detail is truly appreciated!











6 comments:

  1. Another wonderful pattern. Two very different fabric selections but the pattern shines in both. Congratulations. I will wait for the paper copy. I will check for bandages tomorrow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd send my quilts to Kathy for photography and BINDING too...worth the postage LOL. Beautfiul quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can be easily bribed with homemade perogies or other homemade goodies! :)

      Delete
  3. Wonderful photos! The quilts look fab! I really love the colour way that Kathy chose and of course her gorgeous feathers. How fun to have the girls working with you, making quilts, and making memories. Nothing better than that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi I am visiting from Blogathon. I assume the lovely ladies working with you are your daughters, how great it must be to see they enjoy taking part in the process. I went through some of your previous posts as well - I love your hand dyed fabric. I'd be terrified to do it myself, but it's nice to look at!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your new pattern, especially your color choices! So great to have your daughters working with you!

    ReplyDelete